I’ve kissed my lumbar spine disease goodbye :)

9 Mar


I dealt with my lumbar spine disease for almost a year and yes… I’ve finally kissed it Goodbye! The “goodbye” wasn’t really good because I had to agree to three things- 1) to be admitted; 2) to undergo a surgical procedure that concerns my spine under GA; 3) to recover which means to stay at home..just at home for a month. It took me months to decide but I knew that I had to take the risks.

I had several meetings with my surgeon to help me grasp the possible risks of the procedure, I even wanted to quit the day I was admitted, however, he gave the assurance that everything would be just fine…and so I stayed.

On March 4, 2010, I was admitted at Capitol Medical Center. The preparation went well, it didn’t make me calm though. I had a 30-minute meeting with my anaethesiologist- who guaranteed me that all would be just fine and that he would take care of me.

My operation was scheduled at 12nn March 5, 2010. I didn’t get enough sleep the night before, out of nervousness… I should say! I woke up at 4:00am and gave myself a cold bath. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to do enough after the operation. I stayed inside the shower room for almost 30 minutes. Soon as I got off the shower nook, the nurse went in and gave me this green backless OR gown. She asked me to wear only that green piece, no more, no less! And so I did. J After dressing my self up (if you still call it dressing up), the nurse wanted to put my IV in (dextrose), however, she failed. She had to ask her senior to do it for her, after 3 attempts, the dextrose finally hit my vein.

Three hours before the operation, I still managed to get up. I went online and left a message for my dad, and my dear fb, and plurk friends. It was my way to keep myself calm. I knew that I would definitely get by, but I was still nervous. The nurse came in 30 minutes before the operation and gave me sedatives for soothing, it felt heaven- hehehe.. promise! It was like I drank a case of Redhorse Mucho… parang lasing lang. But..but but..It didn’t make me calm and it never made me forget the event. Quarter to 12nn, the nurses from OR fetched me. I was conscious and was chilling. The nurse even asked me “ma’am okay lang kayo?”. I didn’t answer and just looked at my ate loi and kuya gel..I said “kinakabahan ako” and began crying. My ate loi had to bring me to the OR waiting area. Soon as I arrived in the OR area, I heard the staff talking, I held my arm and pinched it three times, I wasn’t dreaming.. gising na gising pa ako. I saw my anaesthesiologist and he even asked why I was still awake. I didn’t answer back. Everyone was ready except me. There was this guy nurse starting to put wires on my legs, arms, and chests. He would even excuse himself every now and then because attaching the wires/electrodes (whatever) would mean undressing my OR gown. I didn’t say anything still. The last thing he did was to put a hair cap on my head and called my anaethesiologist. Dr. Fernando asked me to relax so they could get my BP right. He started injecting fluids via my IV, I knew I fell asleep after. I became totally unconscious. But after the operation or maybe after the operation (I really don’t know), I knew that there was a time I had to shout and let the doctors know that I was having a hard time breathing. I knew it happened in reality. They just asked me to relax, and I fell asleep again. After some time (maybe), I saw myself in the recovery room, very conscious and even asked the nurse to bring me a bed pan so I could pee.

Six hours after, I was brought back to my room. I was restless. I couldn’t move my muscles, even my eyes were kept closed, my lips were dried and sealed, and my fingers and toes were stiffed.

I just prayed silently and asked God to help me regain my strength in no time. After a few hours, I opened my mouth and asked mom to give me something to drink. I knew that everything went well. My doctor came in, I asked him what happened when I was trying to shout and let them know that I was having a hard time breathing… he said that he wasn’t there at that time yet- so obviously it happened while my anaesthesiologist was trying to put the GA tube inside my throat. He asked me not to worry that all went well. I fell asleep again.

The follwing day was a new one for me. I’ve finally kissed my Lumbar Spine Disease goodbye! J I was given reminders here, there, and everywhere, and I would love to keep them.

Lose more

Drink 8-9 glasses of H20

And take my meds for a month!

I know, I’ll get by in no time. My legs are still weak but I’m sure that everything is going to be fine soon.

Thanks for all those people who prayed for me. Thanks to my family and friends who never fail to encourage me before and after the operation.

Thank you my God, You are always by my side even if I often fail you!

God bless everyone! J

Related blogs (my previous posts about my condition):



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: